Friday, June 15, 2007

Tidbits

Tidbits
=======================
The first year I was there some poor secretary emailed the entire department pay rates to the entire department.
Interesting.
For the whole year, TG and BG had been ribbing me because I was the lowest paid person hired in that group.
I didn't care. I knew I wasn't qualified and was still hired.
Then the pay rates came out.
WE ALL MADE THE SAME THING.
We were all "lowest paid."
Some friends....
==========================
It's not that I hated HR at Compaq.
I hate all harmful, wasteful organizations.

Another example:
Training could not have 'tests'.
That word was too "stressful" and it would be embarrassing for someone to fail a test.
Even the tech that works on computers.

So we had "knowledge assessments."

But no tests.

and........................................

I wrote a review of an employee.
She went through a full term of a difficult pregnancy without missing a beat.
Incredible effort.
I said something to the effect:
"Even though she experienced a long, difficult pregnancy, she performed above the department average and never missed a day. She is to be commended."
I couldn't use that.
HR told me I was not allow to acknowledge that I knew she was pregnant.
?????
How the hell could I not?
Even ignoring the swollen belly.
Somewhere in there a baby miraculously appeared.
How could I pretend to not notice???
HR: "you can't say that. Take it out."
Ever wonder how much HR made at Compaq?
I looked.
Lots.

No comments: