Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Interviews

Compaq is hiring en masse. I'm desperate to get into the computer world so I apply. I'm the least qualified person I know. (So bad that, after I was hired, after work I would walk out to the car with TG and make him explain to me what I had done that day. Sometimes that took a few margaritas.)
Anyway, for some reason I get a phone interview. I get about 50% of the questions right. Surprisingly, this gets me called in for a face to face interview.
Me and everyone else that can walk in. It looked like clearance day at the candy store. Or sale day at Fry's.
I interviewed with 3 or 4 people. Can't remember now. Again, I got about half right.
Figured I was doomed.
I wasn't aware at the time but Compaq was in desperate need of BIAS. BIAS means Butts In A Seat. Someone to answer the phone, even if they don't exactly know what they are doing.
Well, I can answer a phone.
And I usually don't know what I'm doing.
So I was hired.
THE CLOUDS PARTED. SUN SHONE FROM THE HEAVENS. ALL WAS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD.
I was a Compaq tech support agent.
Life was good.
Compaq was doomed.

No comments: