Monday, May 7, 2007

Training Classes. And Training Wheels.

Each class for the new hires had about 30 to 40 people.
We radiated geek.
Like any group of techs we covered the spectrum.

There were the really, really smart ones:
They built their own units, which was not unusual then.
But they also tested each chip with an oscilloscope.
And volt meter.
And their computers were never quite finished because there was always something new going in.
And they could tell the modem connect speed just by listening to the noise.

There was the middle group:
Really good techs.
Some built their own units and actually finished them.
They knew all the Microsoft software.
Knew bits, bytes and 1's and 0's, cables and power supplies.
And they ALL knew modems.

At the bottom end there was:
Me.
And one other guy.
As a computer tech I was a damned fine construction worker.
I don't know the other guy's background but he was as lost as I was.

But I could still sit in a cube and answer a phone.
Which was the most important thing.

So they put me on the short bus.

Remedial education.

Special ed.

Segregated from the rest of the group.

I bought a beanie cap with a propeller to celebrate...

No comments: