Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Training Class

They had a class on installation and removal of hardware. The test unit was a Presario 800 series tower. I was the least experienced man in the room. So, of course, they called me up to show "how to remove a CD drive from the chasis."
My one thought: " Oh, shit. Everyone is going to know I'm a fake."
I go up to the table, properly remove the screws, and GENTLY push on the back of the CD drive. The drive then proceded to FLY out of the chasis and land about 10 inches away on the table. Great. I was ready for the laughter.
Only comment made: "Yeah, you can tell he's a field tech." That's all. No laughter, nothing.
It was right then that I realized two things:
1. Everyone assumes that everyone else is a real tech.
2. Because of this, I could bluff my way through anything.
And I did.

No comments: