Thursday, May 31, 2007

Do It Yourself Kits...

We made many a run for "parts for training."
Picked up processors, memory, system boards, cases, etc.
Anything and everything that could go into a computer.

So I built my own.
First one was a Pentium 60.
As new processors came out, I just revisited the trash bins.
I stopped upgrading somewhere around the Pentium 200 mark.
Only because they transferred us to a new site.

What was so special about this?
Well, Compaq had a policy.
Employees could check out any computer they wish for home use.
All you needed was a serial number.

Hmmm.
Can't find that in the trash bin.
So I called a product manager, said: "How do I get a serial number."
He said: "Ask me."
Ok. I did.
He printed out the label, I stuck it on.
I'm done.
I checked that machine in and out many times.
Every time an upgrade was needed.

Some guys built entire servers from scrap.

I wasn't that ambitious.
The latest, fastest desktop was good enough.

Techs were building dozens of machines out of scrap material.
Some just had dedicated game machines in their cubes.
Some had servers at their desk and used Compaq internet bandwidth to run side businesses during work.

Then Compaq started getting serious about security in manufacturing.
Life took a dark turn.

No comments: