Thursday, May 31, 2007

Even Tougher Security

Much later in my Compaq life:
Training manager needs to use a portable for traveling.
I'm now in a position of some authority so I get her a new one.
She checks it out, uses it for a month or so, brings it back.

Follow closely:
She checks it out at the 290 site.
Checks it in at the main campus.
Leaves the main campus and forgets to check it out.
Comes to my office at 290 and forgets to check it in.
All honest memory lapses.

She says: "I brought this back but forgot to check it in here."
Me: No problem.

I walk from my office down the hall to the entrance.
Tell the guard I want to check the portable in.
She scans it, says: "You can't. It's already checked in at main campus."

I try to explain what happens. She won't budge.

Finally, I give up and start to go to my office.
She says: "Sir, you can't take that to your office. It's not checked in here."

What am I supposed to do?

Her: "You need to take that back out to your car."

Wait. Wait. Wait....

A Compaq security person is insisting I take a new, high end portable home?

Ok. I can do that.

I used it for about a year.

Then brought it back.
But didn't check it in.
I wasn't smart enough to handle that.

No comments: