Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Special Education

Realizing my shortcomings, they transferred me to evenings for one week.
Every night an expert in a particular matter would spend two hours going over that subject.
So each night I had four 2 hour classes.
It was great.
By Friday I had 10 hours on system buses, 10 hours on modems and communication, 10 hours on data storage, etc. Not to mention the misc. facts and trivia that crept into each class.
It was the second best thing Compaq ever did for me. Second only to hiring in the first place.

Things of note:
Techs on second shift are better than techs on first.
They have to work with less supervision and fewer resources.

Techs on third shift are best of all.

I never made it to second shift.
Much less third.

Other things:
Second shift has the most fun.
Plenty of people, less supervision, no corporate types wandering in.
Far, far more koosh ball and nerf gun wars.
Towards the end of the evening they have more time to play 'cuz customers were going to bed.

Third shift has the best games.
Few people on staff
They tend to sit apart from each other.
So they played a lot of computer games and a lot of online group games.
They also tear up the most computers.
No one around to stop them, they like to experiment, so...

Anyway, when the week was over I actually had an idea of what I was supposed to know before they ever hired me.

Just an idea.

The customers had to teach me the rest.

No comments: